ENVIRONMENTAL SITE ASSESSMENTS
ALC Environmental can assess various types of properties including multi-family, healthcare, industrial, commercial/retail, public buildings, and undeveloped land. Our environmental site assessments meet or exceed the standards set by the American Society of Testing and Materials (ASTM) Practice E1527-05.
Standards established under ASTM E 1527-05 is crucial in establishing a SARA innocent landowner defense. Our Phase I Environmental Site Assessments include, but are not limited to:
- Physical Inspection – Examining the site and contiguous properties to gauge the likeliness of contaminant releases and identify areas of concern.
- Environmental Database Search – Conduct research into the historic past uses of the site including state file reviews to ascertain the regulatory history of the site.
- Historical Review – Study historical maps and aerial photographs of the site.
- Geologic and Hydrologic Assessment – Review published data on the geology and hydrogeology of the site.
- Comprehensive Report – Prepare a comprehensive report which includes recommendations and a conclusion statement outlining tasks to be performed going forward (ESA II) or clearing the property of environmental liability.
- Quality Assurance and Quality Control
If the results of the Phase I Environmental Site Assessment yields recognized environmental conditions, or as a preliminary response to evidence of a release of a hazardous substance or petroleum product, a Phase II Environmental Site Assessment is required. A Phase II ESA investigates areas of concern identified in the Phase I ESA and functions as a risk management tool to allow for informed business decisions to be made. This process includes:
- Soil and Groundwater Testing – Installing test borings and groundwater monitoring wells. Collecting and analyze subsurface soil and water samples.
- Asbestos, Mold, Lead Based Paint and Dust Sampling and Tank Testing
- Laboratory analysis – by an independent Federal and State certified commercial laboratory.
- Ground Penetrating Radar Surveys
- Risk-Based Corrective Action (RBCA) Modeling
- Comprehensive Data Review and Reporting – Data evaluation and comparison of test results to regulatory standards. Data reduction and QA/QC review. Prepare a comprehensive report of results and recommended future actions.
If the findings from the Phase II ESA indicate that contamination of a site is prevalent, ALC Environmental can offer the services of a Phase III Environmental Assessment which determines the nature and extent of contamination and the potential risk to human health, steps which are integral in developing a Remedial Action Plan (Phase IV ESA). Our Phase III ESA includes:
- Classification and delineation of the detected materials in accordance with Local, State, and Federal codes, rules, and regulations for disposal.
- Calculate the volume of impacted soil and/or groundwater.
- Investigate pathways of migration of contaminants through soil and groundwater.
- Notification of the appropriate regulatory body as required.
- Determine site specific remedial goals determined through a quantitative risk assessment model.
- Development of feasible remediation options that include time frames and costs. These options will also consider physical/chemical limitations, construction requirements, environmental and health safety implications, regulatory approval, and public perception.
- Limited Environmental Due Diligence: Transaction Screen Process (standards established under ASTM E 1528-06)
39 West 29th St., 8th Fl.
New York, NY 10001
1819 JFK Blvd, Suite 360
Philadelphia, PA 19103